Reweaving the fashion sector
The fashion sector is trapped in a linear system of take-make-waste. This results in huge amounts of waste and the destruction of valuable materials.
- Every second the equivalent of 1 garbage truck of apparel waste is landfilled or burned.
- Almost 25% of all chemicals used worldwide, are used in the fashion sector.
- It’s the world’s second biggest polluter of clean water.
- Finite resources such as fossil fuels are used on a large scale.
- In the end, only 1% of the materials is recycled and the majority ends up in landfills.
There is an urgent need to transition from a linear to a circular fashion economy, in which regenerative inputs are used, the true value of materials is captured, resources continue to circulate and, waste is phased out.
What we are doing about it
India is one of the largest producers of apparel and a huge consumer market. Whilst circularity has gained momentum and innovation in circular fashion is growing worldwide, the Indian production sector is lagging behind. Reweave has leaped into this market gap to boost circular innovation locally. Our focus is on building disruptive ventures with sustainable, circular manufacturing processes, we also look to create value from current production waste streams. These ventures serve to influence and inspire market participants driving innovation towards the creation of a new normal.
Reweave is a program by Enviu. Enviu builds world changing companies. It has the expertise, methodology and capacity to ideate, develop and grow social ventures to a commercially viable scale. The mission: an economy that serves people and planet. Enviu is headquartered in the Netherlands and has teams on the ground in Kenya, India, Chile and Indonesia. Since 2004 16 social ventures have been built.